A History of Preston in Hertfordshire
Preston’s Cottages: 1 and 2 Hitchwood Cottages
In 1913, Lutyens designed two estate cottages for Mr H. G. Fenwick along Hitchwood Lane. They were associated with Home Farm (now Ladygrove).These are semi-detached with a joint outhouse/wash-house, which has door and window. They are of one storey with an attic block. They are built with a narrow red brick with lighter red bricks around the windows and at the corners of the buildings. The gable ends and south side are tile hung and the cottages has a steep roof of red tiles. There is a large central chimney which has recessed panels and a waisted top. The flush casement windows have small panes with wide glazing bars. On the north side, there is a recess in the middle of the cottages which is filled by a first floor window for both. Also on this side is a moulded plank front door set in a heavy frame. The cottages had a living room, kitchen, scullery, larder and three bedrooms. On 18 September 1945 they were sold as part of the Minsden estate