The above is a reproduction of a sketch map of Crunnells Green, Preston dated 1884
Comparing maps of Crunnells Green from 1816,1840, 1884 and 1898 there appear to have
be some changes to housing in the area during the nineteenth century.
There was a house and garden (F) to the west of Back Lane in 1816 and 1840 which
was owned by Henry Pedder. This was not shown in the 1884 sketch map and was not
standing in 1898.
The house on the north side of Crunnells Green ( C ) was occupied by John Jeeves
in 1816, William Arnold in 1840 and William Boston in 1910. It was owned by RDV Pryor
in 1901. On the opposite side of the road two new properties (D and E) were built
in 1905 by James Barrington White of Temple Dinsley.
On the corner of Crunnells Green and School Lane, there were two cottages (A and
B) which were occupied by sundry tenants in 1816 and owned by John Jeeves and occupied
by William Taylor in 1840. In 1910, they were owned by RDV Pryor and inhabited by
Jesse Smith ( A ) and John Jeeves ( B )
There are other references to the residents of Crunnells Green in the censuses: William
Boston (1901) and police constable Abel Day (1881). The religious census of 1886
shows Harry (Henry) Powell as living at Crunnells Green (he was still there in 1894)
and William Peters and Mrs Day (although the names of the latter two have been crossed
through in the probably mistaken belief that they were living in Kings Walden parish).
This may indicate that they were living in the cottages at the western end of Crunnells
When the Temple Dinsley Estate was sold in 1873, allotments were shown in the Sales
Particulars. The sketch map of 1884 shows these allotments as running from the school
to Back Lane, parallel to Crunnells Green Lane. These plots would have been tended
by the villagers.
Crunnells Green Corner looking along School Lane towards Preston Green 1913c
The cottages at the junction of Crunnells Green and School Lane 1910c seen from School Lane. Possibly the ladies outside are Emma Smith (left) and Ann Jeeves.