A History of Preston

in Hertfordshire

There were nine cottages at Back Lane. The row ended by the present-day footpath which leads to the Green. Of the nine homes, three had four rooms and six had only two rooms. Sadly, it seems that no photographs of these homes exist.  The following are lists of the occupants:
Reproduction of 1898 map of Back Lane
Reproduction of 1898 map of Back Lane
            1910

CRAWLEY, Rebecca
JEEVES, Henry
CHALKLEY, Arthur
CURRELL, Mary
FREEMAN, James
JENKINS, Arthur
PRUTTON, Josiah
WRAY, Alfred
BOSTON, William
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
           1901

LAWRENCE, Albert
SHARP, Herbert
CURRELL, Mary
DAY, Mary
PALMER, Arthur
JENKINS, Ernest
BELL, Mary Ann
JEEVES, Henry
CRAWLEY,
           1891

PETERS, Thomas
SHARP, Herbert
WRAY, Alfred
TURNER, George
CURRELL, Mary
FAIREY, Thomas
DAY, Mary
JEEVES, Henry
CRAWLEY, Rebecca
            1881

THOMPSON, William
BOSTON, William
JEEVES, Henry
FAIREY, Samuel
CURRELL, Mary
JEEVES, John
PETERS, Thomas
FITZJOHN, John
In 1910, cottages 1- 4 and 9 were owned by Ralston de V. Pryor and cottages 5 - 8 were owned by his brother Geoffrey. The following were the Poor Rate Gross Annual Values of the cottages:
1   £3.---.---d
2   £4.10.---d
3   £2.10.---d
4   £2.10.---d
5   £3.15.---d
6   £3.10.---d
7   £3.15.---d
8   £3.  5.---d
9   £4.  5.---d
Rooms
2
4

4



2

Top

Home page

Site contents

Preston places

Site map

Back Lane