Today, the lane at Crunnells Green is used mainly for access to Back Lane and Preston
Hill Farm and is
at its busiest when the ‘School Runs’ are made. It is a tangle of trees and undergrowth
occasionally ‘tidied’ by volunteers. This is its history..
Shown above is the ‘waste’ of Crunnells Green Lane - forlorn and forgettable; unmemorable
Although the property of the Lord of the the Manor, it was shown as unassigned in
the detailed maps of 1811, 1844 and 1898. It was even omitted in the lots for sale
when Temple Dinsley was placed on the market in 1873. Its ownership was belatedly
transferred when William Henry Darton released the land to the purchaser of
Temple Dinsley, Henry MaClean Pryor, for £30 on 20 November 1875. It was defined
in the Manor Court book
by the diagram below:
On 10 April 1902, Henry Pryor conveyed the waste to his son, Ralston de Vins Pryor
‘in consideration of the natural love and affection’ for his son. Less than three
years later, Ralston sold the waste (measuring 2 rods
and 18 perches) to the incumbent of Temple Dinsley, James Barrington-White for £10.
The waste remained in the hands of Barrington-White and then his trustees until the
episode that saw the felling of the trees at Preston Green in 1946. Then, the village
green, the verge between St Albans Highway and the eastern boundary of Temple Dinsley
was sold to the village for £5.
And that is all that can be written about the waste of Crunnells Green.