A History of Preston

in Hertfordshire

Chequers Lane -

North - east  Side

Chequers

Lane

To Castle

Farm

To Hitchin

John Brown

Benjamin Young

J Darton

Chequers Inn

Sadleirs End

The buildings on the north-east side of Chequers Lane were in the parish of Ippollitts.  As a comparison of the maps from 1816 (left) and 1898 shows below, they were virtually unchanged during the nineteenth century.

NOTES

Chequers Inn, ‘Sadleirs End’ and the property immediately to the north-west were part of the Temple Dinsley estate.

 

In the nineteenth century there were no houses on the south-west side of Chequers Lane.

Chequers Lane circa 1913. The bank of trees in the background reveals the location of this photograph -

they grow between the Hitchin Road and the Temple Dinsley estate. So this photograph is the view down

the Lane towards the junction with the Hitchin Road with the north-east side of the lane on the left as viewed.

The barn in the foreground and the thatched house must be shown as A on the map above, right.

Description of Properties in 1910

 

 

Plot 1   Vacant - soon ‘pulled down’. Owned by E Curling

Plot 2   Brick and slated cottage. Kitchen, scullery, pantry. Three bedrooms. Wood and iron corrugated barn

            and orchard. Occupied by Herbert Jenkins. Owned by E Curling

Plot 3   Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied

            by A Ayres (erased), now Sharp. Owned by E Curling.

Plot 4   Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied

            By E Jenkins (previously, vacant). Owned by E Curling.

Plot 5  Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied

           by A Wray (erased), now Thrussell. Owned by E Curling.

Plot 6  Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied

           by W Ewington (erased), now A Simons. Owned by E Curling.

Plot 7  Wood and thatched cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Wood and thatched

           barn  and garden. Occupied by W Jeeves. Owned by R de V Pryor (Shown in photograph above)

Plot 8  Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. Old and in poor repair. Wood and

           thatched barn, stable, cart shed and garden. Occupied by J Jeeves. Owned by R de V Pryor.

Sadleirs End   House and shop - brick and tiles. Sitting room, kitchen, scullery and pantry. Three bedrooms.                         Wood and corrugated iron stable. Occupied by T Thrussell. Owned by R de V Pryor.

Chequers Inn  Brick and tiled house. Cellar, bar, club room, tap room, sitting room, kitchen and scullery.

                        Four bedrooms. Wood and thatch cart shed, brick and tiled stable, brick and slated piggery,

                        brick and slated store. In fair repair. Occupied by J Scott (erased) now Brown.

                        Owned by R de V Pryor.

 

 

 

 

William

Mellish

Occupants of Chequers Lane from 1841

                        1841 Census

BROWN, James and Louisa. Ag lab

BROWN, William and Catharine. Carpenter

SHARP, James and Hannah. Ag lab

HARVEY, Thomas and Ann. Ag lab

FARR, William and Martha. Ag lab

JOYNER, William and Mary. Ag lab

PALMER, Thomas and Mary. Ag lab

JENKINS, Richard and Sarah.

MORGAN, Daniel and Elizabeth. Woodman

YOUNG, John and Ann. Gamekeeper and

       Innkeeper of ‘The Chequers Inn’.

Note: One of these families was probably living in ‘Spindle Cottage on the Hitchin Road.

 

 

 

 

 

                           1851 Census

One uninhabited house

BROWN, William and Catharine. Wheelwright

SHARP, James and Hannah. Ag lab

PALMER, William and Elizabeth. Ag lab

BOSTON, Thomas and Sarah. Ag lab

JOYNER, William and Mary. Ag lab

PALMER, Thomas and Mary. Pauper

JENKINS, Richard and Sarah.

MORGAN, James and Sarah Ag lab

DAY, William. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca.  Publican

Note: The enumerator probably followed the same route in 1841 and 1851 starting at the northern-most end of the lane.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                           1861 Census

BROWN, John and Mary Ann. Wheelwright

BROWN, William and Catharine. Wheelwright

SHARP, James and Sarah. Ag lab

PALMER, William. Ag lab

BOSTON, Thomas and Sarah. Ag lab

JOYNER, Thomas and Sarah. Ag lab

JENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab

CREW, William and Sophia. Ag lab

SMITH, Thomas and Mary. Ag lab

DAY, William and Betsey. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca.  Publican

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PALMER, Thomas and Mary. Pauper

 

MORGAN,James and Sarah Ag lab

DAY, William. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Elizabeth.  Publican

Note: The enumerator probably followed the same route in 1841 and 1851 starting at the northern-most end of the lane.

.

 

 

 

 

 

                               1871 Census

BROWN, John and Mary Ann. Grocer

SLIGHT, William and Sarah. Farm Bailiff. Wheelwright

SHARP, James and Sarah. Ag lab

SHARP, George and Sarah. Ag lab

SHARP, John and Mary. Ag lab

SHARP, Thomas. Ag lab

JENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab) At cottages

SHARP, James and Sarah. Ag lab    ) 7 and 8 in 1873 SMITH, Thomas and Mary. Ag lab

DAY, William and Betsey. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca.  Publican

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PALMER, Thomas and Mary. Pauper

 

MORGAN,James and Sarah Ag lab

DAY, William. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Elizabeth.  Publican

Note: The enumerator probably followed the same route in 1841 and 1851 starting at the northern-most end of the lane.

.

 

 

 

 

 

                        1881 Census

BROWN, John and Mary Ann Merritt. Grocer

FROST, David and Hannah. Butler

SHARP, James and Mary. Ag lab

SHARP, George and Sarah. Ag lab

REED, George and Mary. Ag lab

1 house unoccupied

SHARP, John and Mary Ag lab

JENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab

BROWN, Frank and Lydia. Farmer

DAY, William and Betsey. Ag lab

JEEVES, William.  Publican

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PALMER, Thomas and Mary. Pauper

 

MORGAN,James and Sarah Ag lab

DAY, William. Ag lab

BRADDEN, Henry and Elizabeth.  Publican

Note: The enumerator probably followed the same route in 1841 and 1851 starting at the northern-most end of the lane.

.

 

 

 

 

 

A sketch map from 1884 is reproduced above to illustrate the activity associated with  the lane at the time

                                                   1891 Census

FROST, David and Hannah. Butler. Preston Castle Lodge. 5+ rooms

MERRITT, Mary. Grocer. 5+ rooms

SHARP, James and Mary (with Arthur Ayres) Ag lab. 4 rooms

BURTON, Joseph and Catherine. Ag lab. 4 rooms

EWINGTON, William and Caroline. Ag lab. 4 rooms

JENKINS, Job and Lucy. Ag lab. 3 rooms

JENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab. 4 rooms

JENKINS, William and Ann. Ag lab. 5+ rooms

BROWN, Frank and Hannah. Hay Dealer 5+ rooms

JEEVES, William. Publican. Chequers Inn.

         1893 Electoral Register

FROST, David  

MERRITT, Mary.

AYRES, Arthur

 

EWINGTON, William

JENKINS, Job

JENKINS, John and Charlotte.

 

BROWN, Frank

JEFFREYS, Thomas. Chequers Inn JEEVES, William. .Preston Lodge

Map of Chequers Lane 1898

                               1901 Census

WALKDEN, John and MAV, Publican Chequers Inn. 5+ rooms

BROWN, Frank and Hannah. Hay dealer. 5+ rooms

SAUNDERS, Edward and Eliza. Gardener. 5+ rooms  2

WRAY, Alfred and Emily. Hurdlemaker. 3 rooms   5

EWINGTON, William and Mary. Hay tier. 4 rooms  6

THRUSSELL, William and Minnie. Hay tier. 4 rooms   4

AYRES, Arthur and Mary Ann. Shepherd. 4 rooms   3  

JEEVES, William, Carpenter. Castle Farm Lodge. 5+ rooms  2

MERRITT, Mary Ann. Grocer. 5+ rooms.  8

 

 

            1900 Electoral Register

WALKDEN, John Chequers Inn.

BROWN, Frank , Sadleirs End

WRAY, Alfred  5 (there in 1905)

EWINGTON, William  6

THRUSSELL, William

AYRES, Arthur 3

JEEVES, William, Preston Lodge  2 MERRITT, Mary Ann. Sadleirs End

 

Details of Chequers Lane from Inland Revenue Survey 1910

                                      1911 Census

BRAZIER, George, Chequer Inn 6 rooms

THRUSSELL, Thomas. Farmer.  ‘The Laurels’ 6 rooms

JEEVES, John and Ann. Retired Ag lab. 3 rooms  8

JEEVES, Henry. Ag lab. 3 rooms

SMITH, Jessie and Emma. Woodman. 3 rooms

SYMONDS, Alfred and Dora. Horse keeper. 4 rooms  6 JENKINS, Ernest and Lizzie. Horsekeeper. 4 rooms  4

SHARP, Herbert and Emily. Ag lab. 4 rooms   3

JENKINS, Herbert and Phyllis. Horse keeper. 6 rooms  2

Pulled down  1

1914 Electoral Register

 

THRUSSELL, Thomas.

JEEVES, John

JEEVES, Henry.

SMITH, Jessie

SYMONDS, A

JENKINS, Ernest

SHARP, Herbert

JENKINS, Herbert

1920 Electoral Register

CLAXTON, William and Edith. Chequers Inn’

THRUSSELL, Thomas. ‘Sadleirs End’

DAY, Walter and Jemima

NASH Frederick

JENKINS, Ernest and Elizabeth

PALMER, James

 

 

 

 

It is clear that, with the exception of Chequers Inn and ‘Sadleirs End’, the old, tumbledown cottages on the north-east side of Chequers Lane were destined to be demolished. As there were probably only four homes inhabited here in 1920 (see below), probably the process of pulling them down and building new houses had started by then. Many, if not all were council houses and the Preston School records indicate that some had been completed and let by July 1922.  By the early 1920s, ten new council houses had been built along this side of Chequers Lane (see map below) and two more were added later (Nos 9 and 10).

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

1925 Electoral Register

ANDREWS, Frederick  and Daisy, ‘Chequers Inn’

THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte, ‘Sadleirs End’

CRAWLEY, Robert and Louisa, Arthur 1

ROLFE, Thomas and Ethel 2

PALMER, Arthur James and Alice Maud 4

HALL, Samuel and Lily 5

ARLIDGE, Albert Thomas and Cecilia

GARNER, Sidney James and May Elizabeth

PETERS, Walter

SHARP, Herbert and Emily

SMITH, Louisa Jane

WEBSTER, Laura

Chequers Lane Nos.11 & 12

Chequers Lane Nos. 9 & 10

Chequers Lane Nos. 5 to 8

Chequers Lane Nos.3 & 4

Chequers Lane Nos.1 & 2

1931 Electoral Register

ANDREWS, Frederick  and Daisy, ‘Chequers Inn’

THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte, ‘Sadleirs End’ ?

PALMER, Arthur James (roadman) and Alice Maud (nee Thrussell) 4

HALL, Samuel and Lily 5

GARNER, Sidney James and May Elizabeth

PETERS, Walter (traveller) and ‘Delphie (nee Heathorn)

FREEMAN, Reuben George and Bessie with Elizabeth and Eva Tristram 10  ?

SHARP, Herbert and Emily, with Walter and Lawrence Herbert 11

SMITH, Louisa Jane

WEBSTER, Laura

LONGLEY, Alfred and Caroline

PASSINGHAM, Margaret Helen

FITZJOHN, Elizabeth

Known occupants of Chequers Lane Nos 1 -  12 from 1931 - 1950

MARDELL, Francis and Leslie (1948 to c1966) 1

STONE, Charles  (1942) 2

SHARP, Leonard (1943) 3

PALMER, Arthur and Alice  4

LONGLEY, Caroline (1939 -    5

WALKER, Frederick and Alice (1940 -     6

HAMMOND, Monica (1944) 7

JENKINS, Dick and Kathleen (1948 - 2011) 8

WRAY, Frank and Margaret (1932 - 1937)  9

WOODHAMS, Bill and Mary (1940 -    9

FREEMAN, Reuben George and Bessie 10

PETERS, Walter (1932)

                           Occupants of Chequers Lane Nos 1 -  12 from 1951 (All dates are approximate)

  1   1951 MARDELL, Francis and Leslie   1971 WOODHAMS,  Brian, Gillian and Rachel.  

       1995 WOODWARD, Stephen and Lynda

 2    1951 PETERS, William and  Florence   1995, YELLAND, John and Kim  2001 BEAMON, Ivor and Patricia

 3    1951 SHARP, Percy and Lily.  1981 - 2001 CHRISTMAS, Sidney and Jessie

 4    1951 PALMER, Arthur and Alice.  1991 BLAIR, Graeme and  GRANVILLE, Claire

 5    1951 LONGLEY, Caroline and  BRYAN, Clarice.  1955 BRYAN,  Clarice and ROBINSON,  Dennis

 6    1951 WALKER, Frederick and Alice  1966  WALKER, Frederick and FRIEL, Lorna   1971 FRIEL, Lorna

 7    1951 HAMMOND, Kenneth and Evelyn  1981 WELCH, Robert and Rosalind

 8    1951 JENKINS, Richard and Kathleen

 9    1951 WOODHAMS, Bill and Mary  1991 HILL, Colin and Mary

10   1951 FREEMAN, Reuben and Joyce

11   1951 SHARP, Herbert  1966 CURRELL, Alec and Sylvia 1987 EPHGRAVE, Alan Martin and Barbara

       2001 RAFFE, Anthony and LOWREY, Catherine

12   1951 CRAWLEY, George and Lilian 1966 PALMER, Reuben and Maureen 1995 MARTIN, Geoffrey & Arline.

New houses built at Chequers Lane after 1970

‘Chequers End’

Chequers End has a Reception Hall, Cloakroom, Drawing Room, Dining Room, Study, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Utility Room, 5 Bedrooms and a Playroom/Bedroom.

 

 

 

 

 

‘Wickets’

‘Wickets’ was built in the late 1990s. Its first occupants were BROUGHTON, Nicholas and Annita.

‘Boundary House’ was built in around 2000. Its first occupant was Tony RAFFE.

‘Boundary House’

Sadleirs End’ aka ‘The Laurels’ (1911)

‘Sadleirs End’ was built in the early sixteenth century and a chimney and floor were inserted in the seventeenth century. An extension to the rear was added in the 1970s.

 

In 1910, it was described as a brick and tiled house with a sitting room, kitchen, scullery, pantry and three bedrooms. On its land was a wood and corrugated iron stable.

 

By 1873, ‘Sadleirs End’ was part of the Temple Dinsley Estate.


 

                               Occupants of ‘Sadleirs End’ from 1881

1881    BROWN, Frank (hay dealer) and Lydia

1910    THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte

1930c  FREEMAN, Reubin and Eva Tristram

1949    HADFIELD, John and Phyllis

1954    BRIGGS, Harold Fawsell (retired tea planter) and Shirley Monica

1966    KERR, Philip R N and Patricia I

2001    CONSTANTINIDI, Paul and Hannah

Reubin and Joyce Freeman

Reuben Freeman (born 1905)  was the son of farm labourer, George Freeman, who lived at Sootfield Green

 

Reuben married Eva Tristram Tuley in 1929. The couple had four children:

Joyce E M Freeman born 1930

Robin G Freeman born 1938

Doris E Freeman born 1943

Peter R Freeman born 1945

 

Reuben was buried at St Martins, Preston on 10 April 1976.

John and Phyllis Hadfield

John Charles Heywood Hadfield (16 June 1907 - 10 October 1999)

 

After leaving school, Hadfield worked as an editor at the publishing firm of

J. M. Dent in London. During World War II as Book Officer for the British Council he formed a unit translating books into Arabic. On returning to civilian life, he founded The Cupid Press, based at ‘Sadleirs End’,  which specialised in limited edition anthologies of poetry. Such as ‘Restoration Love Songs’ (1950).

 

After WW2, he was involved with the Festival of Britain and the National Book League

 

Hadfield ‘was a "bookman"; the editor for 25 years of the Saturday Book, a dab hand at anthologies and for two decades a director of the publisher, George Rainbird. In 1959, his passion for art, cricket, jazz and East Anglia came together in the novel Love On A Branch Line, which is light, witty, even sexy, and now even more nostalgic than in the 1950s; indeed, it is imbued with all the oddball charm that its author brought to editing the

Saturday Book’.

 

 

Home

Site map

Site contents

 

Top

A