The re-enactment of Bunyan’s sermon at Bunyan’s Dell, Preston 1928
As a general rule, parish churches were built by lords of the manor close to their
castle or manor house. As there was a manor of Temple Dinsley, why was no church
built at Preston? There were chapels of ease attached to Temple Dinsley and at Minsden,
so perhaps it was felt that these were sufficient for the villagers’ religious needs.
Later, the absence of a local parish church in Preston created problems especially
from 1538 when births, marriages and deaths needed to be registered. Most of Preston
village was in the parish of Hitchin. The parish church was St Mary, Hitchin which
was two and a half miles from Preston - a long trek for babies, brides and bodies.
(See Minsden Chapel - Link)
The churches of Ippollitts, Kings Walden and St Pauls Walden parishes were closer
to Preston than St Mary. So, in the nineteenth century, there are many examples of
baptisms, marriages and burials of Preston people being conducted outside the parish
Nonconformity in Preston
Perhaps this lack of a religious focal point in Preston contributed to the popularity
of nonconformity in the area.
In the seventeenth century parliament had concluded that the nation could be unified
by one common religion and so outlawed independent churches. The Conventicle Act
of 1664 prevented more than four people assembling to worship without the Anglican
By 1670, the Baptist, John Bunyan (1628-88) had a sizeable following in Bedfordshire
and north-west Hertfordshire. He spent two spells in prison because of his illegal
Bunyan conducted a service at Wain Wood, Preston at a natural amphitheatre which
is still known as Bunyan’s Dell. This gathering was the stuff of legends. One such
saga graphically describes an icy night when hundreds of local people meandered along
footpaths and sheep tracks to hear him preach in Preston. The meeting was veiled
in secrecy. Sentinels were posted to warn of ambushes by the authorities. Women were
poised to protect Bunyan from the wind and snow using their farm aprons. The service
was celebrated by a re-enactment at Bunyan’s Dell in 1928.
Bunyan was fervently supported by the Foster family who lived at Castle Farm, Preston.
They provided him with safety, sustenance and shelter.
This romantic tradition, centred on Bunyan, spawned many churches and chapels in
the area including Tilehouse Street (which had Fosters as founder members) and Back
Street Baptist churches in Hitchin.
With this background in mind - the lack of a church in Preston and the melodramatic
folklore of Bunyan - we may understand why so many of the families of Preston baptised
their children at nonconformist chapels between 1801-41:
Hitchin Back Street Baptist - the families of Payne, Mead, Merritt, Morgan,Groom,
Turner, Hill, Pratt and Westwood.
Hitchin Tilehouse Street Baptist - the families of English, George, Pedder,
Joyner, Foster, Gootheridge, Brown, Field, Robottom, Kilby, Poulter and Wilshire.
This nonconformist tradition was maintained during the nineteenth century for in
the religious census of Preston taken in 1886, 104 local villagers declared that
they were Baptists. Seventy - eight families were polled - 36 were Church, 34 were
Baptist and 8 had no preference.
The 1800s saw the remarkable building of three new religious edifices in Preston
- a village which until then had no church:
1850 - A church is established in the school.
1877 -Bunyan’s Baptist Chapel
1899 -St Martin’s Church.
The following are links to pages which relate to these religious buildings: