A History of Preston

in Hertfordshire

In April 2009 I was kindly allowed to photograph the interior of St Martin. The images below may help us to visualize the baptisms, marriages and burial services of families in the twentieth century. Featured are the gifts to the Church particularly at its consecration.

Mr Pryor donated the altar, made of oak

from his Clifton, Beds. estate

The statues of St George and St Alban were the gifts of Mrs Cazenove and Revd. Eadon

The  font was contributed by Mr and Mrs Cazenove in memory of their baby.

Mrs MacMillan donated the lectern

The oak pulpit was the gift of Francis Newton of Hitchin as a memorial to his parents

Christopher Whall designed this window which represents the tree of Jesse. It is in memory of Thomas Warrin, Mrs MacMillan’s father (1818 -1888) and his wife and children.

This window is in memory of Julian Gribble VC. It depicts St Martin with Julian’s face superimposed. The window was re-dedicated in 2008.

 

The Centenary Window, designed by Peter Caller and showing the life of St Martin was consecrated on 16 July 2000.

Memorial Window (known as The Wedding Window)

to William Palmer, designed by Peter Caller and installed in the porch in 2001.

The organ - built by Eagles of Hitchin in 1856 and customised in 1982.

A 13th century coffin lid of Purbeck Marble discovered at Temple Dinsley. The oak stand celebrates the life of Christopher Sansom (1945 -2001), local historian.

A drawing by Ruby Master: This was a design for a mural intended to be hung behind the altar

This wall plaque shows Mrs Leslie Seebohm (nee Gribble) with her children represented by an older cherub, two identical cherubs and a baby.

Church warden, Frederick Geidt, donated the oak book-case for the hymn books.

.A drawing of St Martin in the porch

A selection of the hassocks created by villagers, pupils of Princess Helena College and friends around 1970

The chancel - shown at Lent when the Church hangings are removed.

Home page

Site map

Religion

St Martins

Site contents

Top

A Tour of St Martin

April 2009