3 Crunnells Green was designed by Lutyens in 1910/11 for H G Fenwick for the Temple
Dinsley bricklayer, Mr Miles. It follows the pattern of several cottages in the district
with the use of narrow dark red bricks in English bond - alternate rows of ‘headers’
and ‘stretchers’. The corners and windows are accentuated by lighter red bricks.
It is a two-storey house, the upper floor being tile hung. The steep roof is made
of red, handmade tiles.
The front door is made of planked wood and now has a gabled timber porch. The casement
windows have small panes and the chimney is large with clasping corner pilasters
and waisted cap.
Crunnells Green House (shown below). Although not boasting the typical Lutyens chimney
stacks, this impressive detached house (which was built around 1919 for the manager
of the Temple Dinsley estate) is listed as being designed by Lutyens. Indeed, when
sold in 1945 as part of the Minsden Estate, the Sale Particulars described it as
having been ‘designed by the late Sir Edward Lutyens’.
In 1945, the ground floor comprised: a porch with tiled floor; a hall; a dining room
(18’ by 14’) with an open grate; a lounge (14’ by 17’ 3’’) with an open grate and
double fitted cupboards; a drawing room (18’ x 6’’ by 13’ 9’’) with open brick grate;
an office (17’ x 14’ 3’’); a gentleman’s cloakroom; a kitchen with a tiled floor;
and a scullery, butler’s pantry and larder.
On the first floor were six bedrooms, a bathroom with w.c. and another bathroom with
a separate w.c. Attached to the house was a tiled verandah, a wash house and a brick
and tiled garage (10’ by 18’ 3’’)