Preston’s cottages: Chequers Lane: North-east side
The buildings on the north-east side of Chequers Lane were in the parish of Ippollitts. As a comparison of the maps from 1816 (left) and 1898 shows below, they were virtually unchanged during the nineteenth century.
Notes: Chequers Inn, ‘Sadleirs End’ and the property immediately to the north-west were part of the Temple Dinsley estate. In the nineteenth century there were no houses on the south-west side of Chequers Lane.
Above, Chequers Lane circa 1913. The bank of trees in the background reveals the location of this photograph -they grow between the Hitchin Road and the Temple Dinsley estate. So this photograph is the view downthe Lane towards the junction with the Hitchin Road with the north-east side of the lane on the left as viewed.The barn in the foreground and the thatched house must be shown as A on the map above, right.
Occupants of Chequers Lane from 1841
1851 CensusOne uninhabited houseBROWN, William and Catharine. WheelwrightSHARP, James and Hannah. Ag labPALMER, William and Elizabeth. Ag labBOSTON, Thomas and Sarah. Ag labJOYNER, William and Mary. Ag labPALMER, Thomas and Mary. PauperJENKINS, Richard and Sarah.MORGAN, James and Sarah Ag labDAY, William. Ag labBRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca. PublicanNote: The enumerator probably followed the same route in 1841 and 1851 starting at the northern-most end of the lane.
1861 CensusBROWN, John and Mary Ann. WheelwrightBROWN, William and Catharine. WheelwrightSHARP, James and Sarah. Ag labPALMER, William. Ag labBOSTON, Thomas and Sarah. Ag labJOYNER, Thomas and Sarah. Ag labJENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag labCREW, William and Sophia. Ag labSMITH, Thomas and Mary. Ag labDAY, William and Betsey. Ag labBRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca. Publican
1871 CensusBROWN, John and Mary Ann. GrocerSLIGHT, William and Sarah. Farm Bailiff. WheelwrightSHARP, James and Sarah. Ag labSHARP, George and Sarah. Ag labSHARP, John and Mary. Ag labSHARP, Thomas. Ag labJENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab (At cottages on Hitchen Road)SHARP, James and Sarah. Ag lab (7 and 8 in 1873) SMITH, Thomas and Mary. Ag labDAY, William and Betsey. Ag labBRADDEN, Henry and Rebecca. Publican
1841 CensusBROWN, James and Louisa. Ag labBROWN, William and Catharine. CarpenterSHARP, James and Hannah. Ag labHARVEY, Thomas and Ann. Ag labFARR, William and Martha. Ag labJOYNER, William and Mary. Ag labPALMER, Thomas and Mary. Ag labJENKINS, Richard and Sarah.MORGAN, Daniel and Elizabeth. WoodmanYOUNG, John and Ann. Gamekeeper and Innkeeper of ‘The Chequers Inn’.Note: One of these families was probably living in ‘Spindle Cottage on the Hitchin Road.
1881 CensusBROWN, John and Mary Ann Merritt. GrocerFROST, David and Hannah. ButlerSHARP, James and Mary. Ag labSHARP, George and Sarah. Ag labREED, George and Mary. Ag lab1 house unoccupiedSHARP, John and Mary Ag labJENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag labBROWN, Frank and Lydia. FarmerDAY, William and Betsey. Ag labJEEVES, William. Publican
A sketch map from 1884 is reproduced above to illustrate the activity associated with the lane at the time
1891 CensusFROST, David and Hannah. Butler. Preston Castle Lodge. 5+ roomsMERRITT, Mary. Grocer. 5+ roomsSHARP, James and Mary (with Arthur Ayres) Ag lab. 4 roomsBURTON, Joseph and Catherine. Ag lab. 4 roomsEWINGTON, William and Caroline. Ag lab. 4 roomsJENKINS, Job and Lucy. Ag lab. 3 roomsJENKINS, John and Charlotte. Ag lab. 4 roomsJENKINS, William and Ann. Ag lab. 5+ roomsBROWN, Frank and Hannah. Hay Dealer 5+ roomsJEEVES, William. Publican. Chequers Inn.
1893 Electoral RegisterFROST, David MERRITT, Mary.AYRES, ArthurEWINGTON, WilliamJENKINS, JobJENKINS, John and Charlotte.BROWN, FrankJEFFREYS, Thomas. Chequers Inn JEEVES, William. .Preston Lodge
Map of Chequers Lane 1898
1900 Electoral RegisterWALKDEN, John Chequers Inn.BROWN, Frank , Sadleirs EndWRAY, Alfred 5 (there in 1905)EWINGTON, William 6THRUSSELL, WilliamAYRES, Arthur 3JEEVES, William, Preston Lodge 2 MERRITT, Mary Ann. Sadleirs End
1901 CensusWALKDEN, John and MAV, Publican Chequers Inn. 5+ roomsBROWN, Frank and Hannah. Hay dealer. 5+ roomsSAUNDERS, Edward and Eliza. Gardener. 5+ rooms 2WRAY, Alfred and Emily. Hurdlemaker. 3 rooms 5EWINGTON, William and Mary. Hay tier. 4 rooms 6THRUSSELL, William and Minnie. Hay tier. 4 rooms 4AYRES, Arthur and Mary Ann. Shepherd. 4 rooms 3 JEEVES, William, Carpenter. Castle Farm Lodge. 5+ rooms 2MERRITT, Mary Ann. Grocer. 5+ rooms. 8
Details of Chequers Lane from the Inland Revenue Survey 1910
Plot 1 Vacant - soon ‘pulled down’. Owned by E CurlingPlot 2 Brick and slated cottage. Kitchen, scullery, pantry. Three bedrooms. Wood and iron corrugated barn and orchard. Occupied by Herbert Jenkins. Owned by E CurlingPlot 3 Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied by A Ayres (erased), now Sharp. Owned by E Curling.Plot 4 Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied By E Jenkins (previously, vacant). Owned by E Curling.Plot 5 Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied by A Wray (erased), now Thrussell. Owned by E Curling.Plot 6 Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Barn and garden. Occupied by W Ewington (erased), now A Simons. Owned by E Curling. Plot 7 Wood and thatched cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. In poor repair. Wood and thatched barn and garden. Occupied by W Jeeves. Owned by R de V Pryor (Shown in photograph above)Plot 8 Brick and tiled cottage. Kitchen and pantry. Two Bedrooms. Old and in poor repair. Wood and thatched barn, stable, cart shed and garden. Occupied by J Jeeves. Owned by R de V Pryor.Sadleirs End House and shop - brick and tiles. Sitting room, kitchen, scullery and pantry. Three bedrooms. Wood and corrugated iron stable. Occupied by T Thrussell. Owned by R de V Pryor.Chequers Inn Brick and tiled house. Cellar, bar, club room, tap room, sitting room, kitchen and scullery. Four bedrooms. Wood and thatch cart shed, brick and tiled stable, brick and slated piggery, rick and slated store. In fair repair. Occupied by J Scott (erased) now Brown. Owned by R de V Pryor.
1911 CensusBRAZIER, George, Chequer Inn 6 roomsTHRUSSELL, Thomas. Farmer. ‘The Laurels’ 6 roomsJEEVES, John and Ann. Retired Ag lab. 3 rooms 8JEEVES, Henry. Ag lab. 3 roomsSMITH, Jessie and Emma. Woodman. 3 roomsSYMONDS, Alfred and Dora. Horse keeper. 4 rooms 6 JENKINS, Ernest and Lizzie. Horsekeeper. 4 rooms 4SHARP, Herbert and Emily. Ag lab. 4 rooms 3JENKINS, Herbert and Phyllis. Horse keeper. 6 rooms 2Pulled down 1
It is clear that, with the exception of Chequers Inn and ‘Sadleirs End’, the old, tumbledown cottages on the north-east side of Chequers Lane were destined to be demolished. As there were probably only four homes inhabited here in 1920 (see below), probably the process of pulling them down and building new houses had started by then. Many, if not all were council houses and the Preston School records indicate that some had been completed and let by July 1922. By the early 1920s, ten new council houses had been built along this side of Chequers Lane (see map below) and two more were added later (Nos 9 and 10).Right is a photo kindly supplied by Ron Powney which showsNo 3 Council Houses, Chequers Lane. The house building appears to be almost complete - only the garden, gate and fence need to be finished.
1920 Electoral RegisterCLAXTON, William and Edith. Chequers Inn’THRUSSELL, Thomas. ‘Sadleirs End’DAY, Walter and JemimaNASH FrederickJENKINS, Ernest and ElizabethPALMER, James1925 Electoral RegisterANDREWS, Frederick and Daisy, ‘Chequers Inn’THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte, ‘Sadleirs End’CRAWLEY, Robert and Louisa, Arthur 1ROLFE, Thomas and Ethel 2PALMER, Arthur James and Alice Maud 4HALL, Samuel and Lily 5ARLIDGE, Albert Thomas and CeciliaGARNER, Sidney James and May ElizabethPETERS, WalterSHARP, Herbert and EmilySMITH, Louisa JaneWEBSTER, Laura
The Council Houses - from a postcard dated around the mid-to-late 1920s
Chequers Lane Nos.1 & 2
Chequers Lane Nos.3 & 4
Chequers Lane Nos. 5 to 8
Chequers Lane Nos. 9 & 10
Chequers Lane Nos. 11 & 12
1931 Electoral RegisterANDREWS, Frederick and Daisy, ‘Chequers Inn’THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte, ‘Sadleirs End’ ?PALMER, Arthur James (roadman) and Alice Maud (nee Thrussell) 4HALL, Samuel and Lily 5GARNER, Sidney James and May ElizabethPETERS, Walter (traveller) and ‘Delphie (nee Heathorn)FREEMAN, Reuben George and Bessie with Elizabeth and Eva Tristram 10 ?SHARP, Herbert and Emily, with Walter and Lawrence Herbert 11SMITH, Louisa JaneWEBSTER, LauraLONGLEY, Alfred and CarolinePASSINGHAM, Margaret HelenFITZJOHN, ElizabethKnown occupants of Chequers Lane Nos 1 - 12 from 1931 - 1950MARDELL, Francis and Leslie (1948 to c1966) 1STONE, Charles (1942) 2SHARP, Leonard (1943) 3PALMER, Arthur and Alice 4LONGLEY, Caroline (1939 - 5WALKER, Frederick and Alice (1940 - 6HAMMOND, Monica (1944) 7JENKINS, Dick and Kathleen (1948 - 2011) 8WRAY, Frank and Margaret (1932 - 1937) 9WOODHAMS, Bill and Mary (1940 - 9FREEMAN, Reuben George and Bessie 10PETERS, Walter (1932)
Occupants of Chequers Lane Nos 1 - 12 from 1951 (All dates are approximate) 1 1951 MARDELL, Francis and Leslie 1971 WOODHAMS, Brian, Gillian and Rachel. 1995 WOODWARD, Stephen and Lynda 2 1951 PETERS, William and Florence 1995, YELLAND, John and Kim 2001 BEAMON, Ivor and Patricia 3 1951 SHARP, Percy and Lily. 1981 - 2001 CHRISTMAS, Sidney and Jessie 4 1951 PALMER, Arthur and Alice. 1991 BLAIR, Graeme and GRANVILLE, Claire 5 1951 LONGLEY, Caroline and BRYAN, Clarice. 1955 BRYAN, Clarice and ROBINSON, Dennis 6 1951 WALKER, Frederick and Alice 1966 WALKER, Frederick and FRIEL, Lorna 1971 FRIEL, Lorna 7 1951 HAMMOND, Kenneth and Evelyn 1981 WELCH, Robert and Rosalind 8 1951 JENKINS, Richard and Kathleen 9 1951 WOODHAMS, Bill and Mary 1991 HILL, Colin and Mary10 1951 FREEMAN, Reuben and Joyce11 1951 SHARP, Herbert 1966 CURRELL, Alec and Sylvia 1987 EPHGRAVE, Alan Martin and Barbara 2001 RAFFE, Anthony and LOWREY, Catherine12 1951 CRAWLEY, George and Lilian 1966 PALMER, Reuben and Maureen 1995 MARTIN, Geoffrey & Arline.
New houses built on the north side of Chequers Lane after 1970
‘Chequers End’ has a Reception Hall, Cloakroom, Drawing Room, Dining Room, Study, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Utility Room, 5 Bedrooms and a Playroom/Bedroom.
‘Wickets’ was built in the late 1990s. Its first occupants were BROUGHTON, Nicholas and Annita.
‘Boundary House’ was built in around 2000. Its first occupant was Tony RAFFE.
Sadleirs End’ (aka ‘The Laurels’ in 1911)
‘Sadleirs End’ was built in the early sixteenth century and a chimney and floor were inserted in the seventeenth century. By 1873, ‘Sadleirs End’ was part of the Temple Dinsley Estate. An extension to the rear was added in the 1970s.In 1910, it was described as a brick and tiled house with a sitting room, kitchen, scullery, pantry and three bedrooms. On its land was a wood and corrugated iron stable.
Occupants of ‘Sadleirs End’ from 18811881 BROWN, Frank (hay dealer) and Lydia1910 THRUSSELL, Thomas and Charlotte1930c FREEMAN, Reubin and Eva Tristram1949 HADFIELD, John and Phyllis1954 BRIGGS, Harold Fawsell (retired tea planter) and Shirley Monica1966 KERR, Philip R N and Patricia I2001 CONSTANTINIDI, Paul and Hannah
Reuben and Joyce Freeman
Reuben Freeman (born 1905) was the son of farm labourer, George Freeman, who lived at Sootfield Green. Reuben married Eva Tristram Tuley in 1929. The couple had four children: Joyce E M Freeman born 1930, Robin G Freeman born 1938, Doris E Freeman born 1943, Peter R Freeman born 1945.
Reuben was buried at St Martins, Preston on 10 April 1976.